My name is Breana Paulos, and I’m from Ashcroft BC. I went to Ashcroft Elementary School from Kindergarten to Grade 7, then went to Ashcroft Secondary School from Grade 8 to Grade 12. Throughout Elementary and High School I played a variety of sports including volleyball, basketball, soccer, and karate, as well as other extracurricular activities like piano.

Since Grade 5 I’ve always wanted to be a teacher, and this idea stuck with me until I graduated. I’m now in my second year of the Bachelor of Arts Program at Thompson Rivers University and have continued to pursue this dream of being a teacher.

Going into first year at TRU I was unsure of what subjects I wanted to teach, I had a lot of ideas and ambitions, like being a Math teacher or a Psychology teacher. However, by the end of the first semester neither of these subjects really peaked my interest, sure they were interesting, but neither of them I thought I could be able to teach in my future career and also have a passion for. When second semester of my first year came around, I changed my whole schedule and decided to try taking some Physical Education and History course because I both enjoyed these classes in high school and I thought this would be a good opportunity to try out more fields of study.

After taking one History class in my second semester of my first year, I was hooked. I enjoyed learning about what happened in certain time periods, why it happened, how it effected us know, and amongst other things. My favorite subjects to learn about is Confederation, the 1920s, and the 1930s. In addition to this I also like to learn about controversial issues such as the Indigenous affairs, different cultures, religions, and information about important people in different eras. I then made the decision that History would be a subject I would love to teach and have a passion for. For my first semester of this year I started off with taking two History courses, which one of them is this course. As for next semester, I’m taking another History course.

The main reasons why I took this course is because I find History interesting and would be a good career to further pursue. This course made me think historically and think more broadly rather then narrowly on certain topics of discussion, because there is more to History then the facts and information, but also the interpretations of others.

Image From: http://quotesgram.com/quotes-about-history-teachers/